Y1 Autumn 2 2019
Topic 2 - African Adventures
For the second half of the autumn term we will be using our African adventure topic to help us with our science learning. We will be thinking and learning about:
Animals and humans
- Identifying and naming a variety of common animals including fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals.
- Identifying and naming a variety of common animals that are carnivores, herbivores and omnivores.
- Describing and comparing the structure of a variety of common animals (fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals, including pets).
- Identifying, naming, drawing and labelling the basic parts of the human body.
- Explaining which part of the body is associated with each sense.
Literacy: We will be writing simple sentences and learning about what makes a good sentence, including adding capital letters, finger spaces and full stops. We will also be learning about adjectives and how to add them into our sentences to make them more interesting. We will be writing in different contexts such as creating autumn poetry using noun phrases, writing information posters about African animals and writing stories inspired by Emily Gravett's Meerkat Mail.
Phonics: We will have daily phonics lessons following the Read, Write, Inc. programme. We will be recapping the set one sounds and learning the set two sounds.
Number – Counting forwards and backwards from numbers up to 100. Learning all about addition by using the part-part whole model and the bar model.
Shape – Learning about 2D shapes and practising our shape recognition.
IT: We have IT in the IT suite and also have access to laptops in class during the mornings. We will be practising logging on to the computers, practising mouse control and learning to type. We will be using programmes such as 2Publish+ and Tux Typing.
PE: Indoors on Tuesday. Outdoor PE on Monday afternoons - weather dependent so please have PE kit available in school at all times so we can make the most of dry weather! We will be working on different ways to move during inside PE and focusing on improving our ball skills during outside PE.
DT: This half term in DT we will be learning about balanced diets and using skills such as cutting, peeling and squeezing to create our own fruit smoothies, inspired by Handa's Surprise.