Y1 Summer 1 2022
Topic 2 - African Adventures
For the second half of the autumn term we will be using our African adventure topic to help us with our science learning. We will be thinking and learning about:
Animals and humans
- Identifying and naming a variety of common animals including fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals.
- Identifying and naming a variety of common animals that are carnivores, herbivores and omnivores.
- Describing and comparing the structure of a variety of common animals (fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals, including pets).
- Identifying, naming, drawing and labelling the basic parts of the human body.
- Explaining which part of the body is associated with each sense.
Literacy: We will be writing narratives and information texts thinking about what makes a good sentences and developing our editing skills. In our narratives, we will use Handa's Surprise as inspiration, and we will be looking at a range of non-fiction texts about African animals for our information writing.
Phonics: We will have daily phonics lessons where we will be securing and embedding all of our learnt graphemes and phonemes and reading alien words.
Number – Counting forwards and backwards in 2’s, 5’s and 10’s. Using our number skills to solve problems. Addition on a number line by counting in 10’s and 1’s. Simple division questions. Number bonds to 20 and the related subtraction facts. Measure – Using standard units within measure, such as grams, cm and ml.
Shape – Recapping 2d and 3d shapes and naming their properties.
IT: We have IT in the IT suite and also have access to laptops in class during the mornings. We will be practising logging on to the computers, practising mouse control and learning to type. We will be using programmes such as 2Publish+ and Tux Typing. We will also be practising maths using different educational games.
PE: Indoors on Tuesdays. Outdoor PE on Wednesday afternoons - weather dependent so please have PE kit available in school at all times so we can make the most of dry weather! We will be using the gym equipment during inside PE and focusing on balance and learning about and playing team games and ball skills in outside PE.