Y4 Autumn 1 2020
Topic 1: Tomb Raiders!
For the first part of the Autumn Term, we’ll be learning about life in Ancient Egypt and trying to answer some of these questions:
- Who were the Ancient Egyptians? Where did they live?
- What did the Ancient Egyptians believe?
- What was everyday life like for an Ancient Egyptian?
- Who was Howard Carter and why is he famous?
- Why was the River Nile so important?
- During the first part of the autumn term, our English units of work will include Portal stories, instructions and biographies and these will be linked to our topic, Ancient Egyptians.
- Our first English unit is Portal stories and will involve the children creating short narratives based on the animation Tadeo Jones, a popular children’s cartoon. Then we will move on to writing instructions on how to mummify a Pharaoh. Disgusting but guaranteed to engage the children.
- In biographies, we will be studying the lives of different famous people and creating flow diagrams of their life events. The outcome of this unit of work will be a biography or autobiography of Howard Carter.
- Revision and catch-up from Year 3
- Counting, reading, writing and ordering numbers to at least 9,999, counting forwards and backwards in steps of different sizes, calculating and solving problems using addition and subtraction, rounding numbers to the nearest whole number, 10, 100 or 1000.
- Addition and subtraction working towards using formal methods.
- Tables facts- knowing all tables facts to 12 x 12 from memory and using these to work out division facts e.g. if 7x8=56, then 56÷8=7.
- Our science topic will be States of Matter and will involve investigating solids, liquids and gases.
- The children will also learn about the water cycle and investigate the processes of evaporation, condensation and precipitation.
- This half term, the children will start learning about programming using Scratch.
- Composing our own Ancient Egyptian chant to honour the Gods using various percussion instruments.
- Designing and creating cards to celebrate a special occasion.
- The children will learn about levers and linkages in order to design and construct a moving card.
- Comparing Ancient Egyptian death rituals/ceremonies to Christian ceremonies.
- Indoor PE - Gymnastics - Shape and balance
- Outdoor Games - Football skills with team games such as Football Rounders and Football Diamond Cricket.
- PE/Games days—Tuesdays and Wednesdays for 4B and 4S