Y5 Autumn 2 2021
Our second topic for the Autumn term will be 'Space'.
We will be visiting Winchester Science Centre and Planetarium on Tuesday 9th November. Information for this trip is available in the Letters section of the Year 5 pages.
Science - Space:
- What skills does an astronaut need?
- How many planets are there in our solar system?
- What are their names, relative positions and sizes?
- How do the planets, Earth, sun and moon move in relation to each other?
- What causes day and night?
- We will be linking our learning of forces to the gravitational pull of the Earth, and applying our knowledge practically through investigations.
- Explain to somebody how to wild a wolf, based on our guided reading text Wolf Wilder by Katherine Rundell.
- Creating a travel book about a planet children have created themselves inspired by Jim Bell's The Ultimate Interplanetary Travel Guide.
- Statistics: read, interpret and draw line graphs, tables, two-way tables and real-life timetables in the local area.
- Multiplication and Division: factors and multiples; prime, square and cube numbers; multiplying and dividing by 10, 100 and 1000.
Geography - Russia:
- Is Russia the ideal location for the 2030 Winter Olympics?
- Where in the world is Russia?
- Where is Russia do people live, and how does the physical geography impact this?
- What biomes are present in Russia, and what are the characteristics of these?
- We will be using Scratch to design and debug a maze game the children have planned and created.
- E-safety: protecting our identity and password safety.
DT - Space Mobile:
- Design, create and evaluate a space mobile for children.
- Children will learn simple DT skills such as: sawing, fixing joints and moving mechanisms including a motor.
Music - Classical:
- Listen and respond to Tchaikovsky's Russian Dance, and perform a waltz as an ensemble.
- Our PE days will continue to be on a Tuesday (outdoor) and Thursday (indoor).
- Outdoor: Basketball.
- Indoor: Football Dance.
RE - The Annunciation:
- Our RE day will be on Wednesday 8th December.
- What does the word 'faith' mean to you?
- How does the concept of faith apply to religious and every day contexts?
PSHE - Identity, society and equality:
- Our PSHE day will be on Thursday 16th December.
- What is diversity, and why is it important in our society?
- What is gender stereotyping?
- What is discrimination and how can this make others feel?