Y5 Summer 1 2022
Our first topic in the Summer term will be 'Marvellous Mayans'. This will be a historical study of the Mayan period in Mesoamerica, which spanned over 3,000 years.
This term we will also be starting our Swimming Lessons at Winchester Sport and Leisure Centre every Friday morning. We are also looking forward to sending out more information about Year 5 Camp very soon!
History - Ancient Mayans:
- Who were the Maya? When and where did they live?
- What was everyday life like for the Maya?
- What did the Maya believe in and were they actually civilised?
- What was happening in Britain during the same period?
- Was life better for the Maya or the Anglo-Saxons?
- What happened to the Maya, and why did they mysteriously disappear?
Science - Living Things and their Habitats:
- Consider the different life-cycles of animals including mammals, amphibians, birds and reptiles, and identifying how this can help us categorise them.
- Investigate the different parts of a plant through dissection and thinking about how plants pollinate and reproduce both sexually and asexually and the difference between these.
- Interpreting and exploring the poetry of Lewis Carroll (the author of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland) and writing ‘nonsense’ poetry based on the work of Joseph Coelho.
- We will also be writing a Horrible Histories information page about the Maya based on our own research in History and Computing lessons.
- Our English will focus on embedding Year 5 grammar, spelling and punctuation aims such as semi-colons, fronted adverbials, parenthesis and relative clauses.
- Decimals and Percentages: understanding decimal formation, decimals as fractions, rounding and ordering decimals; thinking about percentages, what these are and what they represent, and converting between fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Decimals: furthering our understanding about decimals including thousandths, adding and subtracting decimals, understanding decimal sequences and consolidating multiplying and dividing by 10, 100 and 1000.
- Properties of Shape: begin to consolidate understanding of shape including the properties of 2D and 2D shapes, categorising different shapes and identifying different polygons.
- We will be making our own professional presentations about the life and times of the Ancient Maya, using PowerPoint and specific learnt skills including transitions and animation.
- E-safety: Children will learn how to cite a website from research about the Ancient Maya.
DT - Seasonality:
- Design and create our own cheese scones using seasonal produce we have tasted and prepared. Year 6 will vote on their favourite which we will sell at the PTFA Summer Fête.
Music - Dance Music:
- Recognising and creating looped rhythms within dance music using percussion, back-beats and computer programming.
- Our PE day will continue to be on a Thursday (indoor).
- Indoor: Athletics.
- We will be going swimming every Friday morning, which replaces our Outdoor PE lesson.
RE - Umma:
- Our Summer 1 RE day will be on Monday 23rd June 2022.
- What does the concept of 'Umma' mean for the Islam community?
- How does the concept of community mean for our lives, and how do we feel part of a community?
PSHE - Dealing with feelings:
- Our Summer 1 PSHE day will be on Thursday 26th June 2022.
- How are we influenced by the media, and how can the media influence the use of drugs and alcohol?
- What are the risks associated with smoking and the use of alcohol and other drugs?